Friday, October 15, 2010

Nature vs. Nurture

This week in class we discussed the idea of nature vs. nurture and how these both play significant roles in shaping who we are. Nature is what you are born with, they are innate traits that we receive from our parents through heredity such as learning to blink and breath. Nurture however are things we are taught after we are born and when we are being raised such as how to walk, and how to eat. The nurture phase is our progression from a baby to a fully grown and functioning adult, this process is called socialization. The agents of socialization are the things that push us towards adulthood in certain ways. A big one is family, your family's values and actions are reflected in you because your parents raise in according to those values. For instance in my example my parents have taught me to be  open minded about things, and not to negatively judge people because they are different than me. Since they raised me with this mind set from a baby I reflect that because as a child I was taught it was the right thing. Nature vs. Nurture are both vital to humans because the combination of the two are what make us human.

No comments:

Post a Comment