Thursday, September 30, 2010

Sooo... a culture specific America exists?

This week in class we talked about American culture, and what it was that defined us as Americans. Going into this lesson I was certain there was no such thing. I always thought of America as a melting pot of different nationalities and a mixture of different cultures. However, I was wrong. There really are certain values that label us as Americans. For instance Americans see change as positive, believe in equality, believe in competition, and are future orientated to name a few. While, other cultures seem to see change as dangerous and destructive to order, believe in rank and different social statuses, believe in cooperation, and are past orientated. I always pictured my self as Polish, and influenced heavily by Polish culture. After seeing these "American Values" I saw that most of them are reflected in me. For instance I am a strong believer in future orientation and looking at what will be next which ties into support of change. Whereas Polish culture is primarily past orientated (however my parents/relatives do not reflect this). Though, I do maintain a lot of Polish material culture, my symbolic culture is no doubt dominated by American values.

1 comment:

  1. I also thought America was a melting pot, and I still think it is, but I think America also has its own unique culture. I think it's cool that people can keep aspects of their heritage and still believe in some American values.

    ReplyDelete