Friday, September 17, 2010

Groups in "A Bronx Tale"

This week in class we began watching the film "A Bronx Tale" directed by Robert DeNiro to finish up the chapter in sociology. In the film Collogero has membership in many groups which ultimately shape his life when he is growing up. He is part of his families group, Sonny's groups, and his friends group. Those are the major groups which shape his life. His master status in my opinion belongs in Sonny's group because as a child he tried so hard to emulate them, and as he got older and after he caught the attention of Sonny his involvement in the group became more prevalent. Though, I do not believe Collogero is in Sonny's group exactly, I see him and Sonny as being a part of their own group. Although Sonny does all these illegal things and may be a criminal Collogero has a connection with him, a type of father-son connection. This is seen in the way Sonny gives Collogero advice about the African-American girl he likes. Collogero only asks his father and Sonny about the girl which shows how close they really are. This is just like my master statuses, my family and my friends shape who I have become. My morals and my beliefs are a reflection of my families beliefs, and my opinions are also a reflection of my friends opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment